Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Let's Start at the Beginning

In 2006 I got my first dog - a black lab/pitbull mix from the San Francisco SPCA. His name was Walter and he was a birthday present for my then-live-in boyfriend. I guess you could say that I was a dog owner by default. Although Walter was spontaneously neurotic, he was an awesome introduction to the species. In 2007, the boyfriend bought me my own dog - a pug named Loose Seal aka Lucille aka Lucy. I'd wanted a pug for awhile and she is absolutely the love of my life. One thing I've learned is that boyfriends don't usually last as long as dogs. After the breakup, I took Lucille, the ex took Walter (sad, I know). Although I regret much from that relationship, I am grateful for Lucille, who cheers me up and has a better sense of loyalty then most men.

Two weeks ago brought a new addition to my life. I had this feeling within me that it was time to add to the "family" (Lucille and myself). I'd searched at shelters near Omaha and up to three hours away but nothing hit me in my stomach. Lucille wasn't too impressed either. I'd decided to be a foster mom for a local pug rescue. However, one Saturday, after having brunch with my spiritual guru, I felt the need to swing by the Humane Society. I'd seen a pug mix on their website. I figured it would be like all of the other times - I'd meet the dog in the adoption room and it wouldn't click. There was, though, this brown dog in the first kennel. She was a "lab mix" curled up in a ball sleeping. Her hind leg had been amputated. She was OUT and she wouldn't stir whatsoever when people tried to rouse her. When I met with the adoption counselor, I told her that I was there to see the pug, but I had this weird urge to meet the dog in Kennel 1 if the dog was up for visitors. I waited...and waited...and when the door opened and this brown, black, and white puppy barged in, I fell in love instantly. She ran up to me, sat in my lap on the floor, and began licking my face. THIS was my dog. I knew I needed to bring Lucille over for a meet n' greet and I was so nervous on the drive that my hands were shaking. It is often recommended that you should get a male if you already have an established female. Would this work? Would they get along??? I explained to Lucy on the way there (yes, I talk to my dog out loud) that she would always be #1 and that the decision was completely up to her. They got along perfectly and a day later, I had Lucy and a 5 month old puppy in my home.

That's the history. This is my first blog ever, and I figure that my dogs are one of the most exciting parts of my life. Really, who doesn't loving reading about and talking about dogs?? I decided to start this blog as a way to navigate through this journey with my girls - the ups, the downs, and the in-betweens. I hope to learn from readers and I will pass on all of the wisdom my pups provide me.

No comments: