Thursday, March 11, 2010

Boy Meets Dog

Like I've said, it has been my experience so far that dogs last longer than boyfriends (and are more loyal).  It is essential that the men in my life not only respect my dogs, but cherish them - showering them with love and gifts.  I also expect men to understand that if they sleep over, there will most likely be a lump of fluff between him and myself.  This is the way it goes and if he has a problem with it, PEACE OUT.  This actually has happened.  A "friend" was sleeping over, thinking he was going to get some affection, and when I turned off the lights, Lucy assumed her position on my chest.  The "friend" was rebuffed.  I told him that Lucy comes first and if he can't deal with that, the door is over there.  He left and I haven't heard from him since.  I've also had guys actually put Lucy in her crate when they came over!!!  The nerve!!  Of course, she barked and barked and we all knew it just wasn't going to work out.

Then came Bill.  We went on a date before he met Lucille and I was able to give him a heads-up about Lucille ranking as #1.  The sign of a good guy is that he pays attention.  When he finally met Lucy, he was warm and friendly.  To show him what's up, she climbed on him, letting him know that SHE is the queen of the mountain.  All was going fabulously until she yarfed all over his nicely pressed shirt.  *Sigh*  My ex (the asswipe who bought Lucille) said that it must be a sign that Lucy doesn't like him (like he knew anything about women).  I turned to my mother for advice and she explained that "Lucy must have just been nervous...she's not used to meeting classy men."  I think she was right.

See, Bill gets it.  He immediately went and bought Lucy a crate for when she and I would be in Lincoln and spent quite a bit of time and money picking out a doggie bed that was just right for the princess.  He buys her toys and sneaks her bacon and sausage.  I've even caught him singing to her.

He figured out that the way to my heart is Lucy...or the other way around...

No comments: